Monday 19 April 2010

Dale Perkins

What are likely to be perceived as popular music techniques and processes I openly embrace within my project Voice Without Words and my composition Axe (the first work of a new project with the Umbrella title Taking Down Trees). I do not believe there is a separation between art-based music and popular music in my own practice. However, many forms of popular music have clear spaces for consumption (night club; ipod; MTV etc.) that are different from the traditional concert and recital spaces generally associated with acousmatic music and its diffusion. A question I wish to address is: how should the composer explore more formal communal spaces where music can be diffused and spatialised according to speaker placement and acoustics, in addition to domestic playback systems?

My paper will therefore examine a personal compositional aesthetic which is used to create sound-based music that includes ‘grooves’ and ‘hook lines’ along with spatialisation techniques that arguably make ‘art-based music’ more accessible.

No comments:

Post a Comment